WANT YOUR LEGAL DREAM JOB? DRESS FOR SUCCESS
How to Dress for Your Job Interview
At Strategic Recruitment Solutions, our legal recruiters work with most of the law firms in the Louisiana Gulf Coast region. Let us be your advocate, coach, and agent and help you land your dream job! Making a great first impression is more important than you think.
Take our advice and when interviewing for employment in the legal field, dress the part and opt for a conservative look. The legal interview is not the place to make a fashion statement! Wear clothes that help you feel confident and comfortable and avoid these fashion blunders:
- Clothing that Distracts – When interviewing, you want the hiring manager to focus on you, not what you are wearing. Your outfit should reflect your personality but not be overpowering. To dress for success, instead of loud, bold colors, stick to the standard colors and add accents (such as on a scarf or tie) in brighter hues. Women should wear a solid-colored blouse with a suit, preferably in blue, white or a neutral color with a higher neckline, according to an article in Stylish Sophisticate. For men, a navy blue suit, white shirt, and soft color tie is the dress for success according to LearnLeo, a blog that helps graduates of top law schools excel.
- What to do about Tattoos and Body Piercing – Unfortunately, how others view your self-expression is not always positive or fair. Limited research on the subject of tattoos in the workplace reveals that people regard those with tattoos as being less intelligent among other assumptions. To dress for a successful interview you should remove all facial piercings, and cover up tattoos until you are certain of company policies regarding tattoos and piercing.
- Pay Attention to the Details – A polished appearance is the key to dressing for success. Make sure your clothes are free of wrinkles and your shoes are shined. Attention to detail indicates a dedication to success and presentation. Caution: If you have pets at home, don’t forget the lint roller!
Additional Dress for Success Tips for Women:
- Nails: Stay clear of wild nail polish, it is better to stay in clear or neutral shades.
- Jewelry: Keep jewelry to a minimum (two rings per hand and one earring per ear). Instead of dangling earrings, pick classic choices such as stud earrings or fine silver or gold jewelry.
- Makeup: Wearing a baseline amount of makeup helps to keep the overall look sleek and professional. A bit of foundation, mascara, and a flush of color (natural blush or lipstick) is a good start.
- Accessories: Black tote bags and handbags are safe bets for stowing extra resumes, a spare pair of flats, a spare pair of pantyhose for those wearing the skirt suit, and makeup bag.
Additional Dress for Success Tips for Men:
- Shoes: The rule is if your suit is black or grey, wear black shoes and wear brown shoes with a blue or brown suit.
- Ties and Socks: Keep the loud or comedy ties and socks at home.
- If the Suit Fits Wear it Here is a handy guide to making sure your suit fits right.
Dressing for success is a delicate balance of personal taste and common sense. Whatever you wear, remember that your attention to detail is essential. If you do not pay attention to your appearance, why would anyone think you would pay attention to your work? Listen to our expert advice and guidance and we can help you land that dream job!